5 Things I've Learned From Buying Cult Beauty Products
Even before starting this blog, I've been a little over my head trying out cult beauty products that are overly hyped. I think it comes with the beauty addict/ turned beauty blogger territory. And after lots of good and not so good experiences, I thought I would share with you guys what I've learned about cult products:
- Never forget your skin type - This is a no-brainer, but if you are in a shopaholic state, you may flake... I know I'm guilty! So the next time you buy a product, please take your time to research about who's it made for. Just because everyone is raving about that new face cleanser doesn't mean it will work on your dry skin.
- Remember your zip code - Are you reading a product review from someone in the UK? Well you can bet this product probably won't work the same way in a hot and humid location. Trust me, I learned it the hard way after watching one too many British beauty vlogs.
- Research drugstore dupes before buying high-end - Before you go all out buying half your salary worth of high-end products just because bloggers love them, research some drugstore dupes. I give all this credit to Chantelle, one of the interns at the agency I work for, who's just as obsessed with the beauty community as I am. Every time I mention a new product that I've been meaning to try, she already has a dupe that is just as good, but for half the price! So research, research, research.
- Mascara... Drugstore vs High-End - This is a tough one for me to admit and I think all of you straight lashes gals out there will understand, especially if you've always been told that drugstore mascaras are just as good as high-end. But after a fair share of trial and error, I can honestly tell you: NOPE! they aren't. Maybe they work if you have naturally curled and long lashes, but on me, they don't. And after trying out Benefit's They're Real, Bobbi Brown's Smokey Eye Mascara and most of Lancome's mascaras, I give you my word that there is no dupe for these at the drugstore, at least for us with stubborn lashes. The only way I've gotten sort of a curl effect is with the waterproof version of the Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara (the super hyped pink and green tube) and Maybelline's Butterfly Mascara.
- Just because nobody talks about it, doesn't mean it isn't a great product - Sometimes in the beauty community we get so caught up on what everyone's raving about (guilty again!), that we forget that there are actually more - really great - brands and products out there worth trying. Don't be afraid to experiment with not-so-hyped-about products. You may find your new holy grail beauty regimen!
Do you agree? What are your favorite not so hyped beauty products? I would love to know!
Don't forget to share this with your friends. :)