27 Lessons in 27 Years
Before I begin, I wanted to say thank you for being so understanding of the little break I took this November. Your sweet messages helped me truly recharge! Now, on to the post:
Being born on November 27, so near Thanksgiving and so close to the year ending is truly a blessing. It gives me the obligated opportunity to be grateful and reflect about my life in the last 365 days. But this year, even though I'm human and made a lot of mistakes along the way, being grateful wasn't a forced attitude. Contrary to all the previous years in my short adult life, I was committed to making my new years resolution an accomplishment, not a cliché.
I started by making a huge switch in my attitude, like learning to accept compliments, stop complaining about things that I could change, making peace with what I couldn't change and finally start shifting my energy towards making ambinity something that I could truly be proud of. It doesn't hurt that in 2017 I somehow attracted some of the most amazing people I never imagined I would call friends. People who are as proud to support me as I am to support them, without competition, just good vibes and a great time. Is it luck, karma, law of attraction? I don't know, but I do know that there is no way I'm going to let surviving two traumatic hurricanes in less than two weeks opaque all these wonderful experiences I've had this year! Maybe it's true what they say: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
But I know this wouldn't have happened without your support. From just liking a post to showing up to my events Offline Saturdays. You made my busiest, hardest most emotional and transformative year the most fulfilling year of my life.
Fun Fact: I started this list back in January of this year, not know half the crazy lessons I was going to learn this year. Enjoy!
- Life is a constant evolution of feelings and circumstances. It's ok to change.
- Learn to let go of the people and things that don't make you happy anymore.
- Everyone deserves the right to be happy as long as they are not hurting anyone.
- Stay away from what society says life "should look like", find out what makes your soul happy and make that your north.
- People will always criticize you. Learn to accept it and don't let that stop you from making your own path.
- Everything great in life is right outside your comfort zone. (I talk about this topic here and here)
- Once you start pursuing your dreams, watching other people succeed will make you happy. This is how you find your tribe!
- Mantras work. I repeated to myself "todo va a estar bien" (everything will be alright) during my most anxious days and everything certainly did turn out well.
- Find a planning or calendar system that works for you and stick to it! Once you start thriving, the adrenaline of getting things done will become addictive in all the right ways.
- Waking up before 6AM is the best way to be productive. And yes, I said before. Here's a great book that will help you become a morning person.
- Stay away from negative people. Seriously! They will always find the most creative ways to bring your down.
- You don't need a religious system to feel spiritually connected to a higher power.
- Always carry cash with you! I learned this the hard way after Hurricane María.
- You are the only person in charge of your present and future life. Your job, your family, your career, your past and your circumstances shouldn't define your character. Any self help book will teach you this, but Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert is the one I will recommend.
- Traveling is one of the few ways money can buy happiness.
- Prioritizing mental health will significantly better the quality of your life. Here and here are two posts that will help you get started.
- Gossiping and judging other people's life choices is for losers.
- Life has a magical way of putting the right people in your way. If you're reading this, you know who you are. <3
- There will always be a negative and positive way to react to things, so be aware of your actions and consiously choose the latter.
- If you don't like how someone is treating you, say it.
- Don't let emotions get in the way of your career. Never let them see you sweat.
- If you're feeling lost, explore your identity by following your curiosity without judgement. Again, Big Magic will help you with this.
- If you're not excited about a fitness routine, change it. Working out should be a fun and relaxing part of your day.
- Your intuition is the most powerful tool you have. Trust her.
- Eat plant based and get moving to feel great. Looking great in result is just an awesome side effect.
- Surviving a natural disaster will change you forever. If you ever get hit by one, take care of yourself first and then help out other people. Everything will suck for a while, but learning to get through the pain will help you grow as a person. Just remember "this too shall pass". I wrote about my experiences post Hurricane Maria here and at Merodea.
- If you can't stop thinking about it, take the risk.
Last but not least: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.
By the way: